Massachusetts Mental Health Center
Massachusetts Mental Health Center

The Boston Psychopathic Hospital was the first mental health hospital in Massachusetts.  In November 1909 the site for the hospital was purchased on Fenwood Road, 5 minutes’ walk from Harvard Medical School. Dr. Elmer Ernest Southard was appointed director of the hospital early in 1910, to supervise its construction . On June 24, 1912 the Psychiatric Hospital was formally opened as a department of Boston State Hospital. On May 1, 1919 the Massachusetts State Psychiatric Institute was separated from the Psychopathic Department of the Boston State Hospital, which relieved the psychopathic department of scientific research, leaving it with purely hospital functions. On December 1, 1920 the psychopathic department was made into a separate Boston Psychopathic Hospital, under director Dr. C. Macfie Campbell. It was later renamed the Massachusetts Mental Health Center. (Excerpted from Wikipedia)

Shock Therapy Unit MMHC 1957
Shock Therapy Unit MMHC 1957

Furtado, LP and Havens, LL: Special units for electric convulsive treatment. Mental Hospitals, 8:20-22, 1957

Award-of-Bio-Psych-copy
Awarded to biological psychiatry scientists under the age of 45.
ECT Award
Max Fink, M.D.(second from left), A.E. Bennett M.D. (center) 1958 LLH Psycho-neurobiology Meeting

Havens, LL; Sileli, S; DiMascio, A; Boling, L and Goldfein, A: Catecholamine responses to electrically induced convulsions in man. Biological Psychiatry edited by JM Masserman. New York: Grune and Stratton, 1959, pp 120-129. Also appeared in the Journal of Mental Science, 105:821-829, 1959

Havens, LL: A comparative study of modified and unmodified electric shock treatment. Diseases of the Nervous System, 19:29-34, 1958 (Contact the journal website or The Center for The History of Medicine, The Countway Library Harvard Medical School, Boston MA, USA)